Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Dixie State College here I come!

This morning I went to Dixie State College and enrolled in the CNA (certified nurse assistant)class for the fall semester. Classes start next Tuesday. I have been thinking about this decision for awhile now. When Kim was in the hospital last week, I asked one of his CNA's what they did in order to become certified. After discussing it with her I decided it would be a great thing for me and our family. With Kim's health like it is it will be a peace of mind to have something to fall back on if I ever need to be the bread winner. It costs $400.00 for an 8 week course. I will be going to the Tuesday and Thursday evening class from 6-8pm. There will also be some lab classes and clinicals. In just 2 short months I will have my certificate (hopefully). I am a little nervous about going back to college after 16 years. One of the added benefits of getting this certificate is if I land a job at DRMC (Dixie Regional Medical Center) then all I will have to do is work three 12 hr shifts which can be night shifts and I will get full medical benefits for our family and 401k, etc...I have stressed alot about the fact that we don't have any health insurance..(we just cannot afford it) So the health insurance alone will make it worth it.I have always wanted to pursue a career in the medical field...nurse, emt, etcc.. Lots of people have told me a CNA is a great place to start. anyhew....hopefully I have not bored you to tears. Wish me luck:)

Update: I attended my first class tonight and I absolutley loved it. That's when you know you're in the right field. It is going to be a ton of work but at least I will enjoy my job someday...(hopefully) thinking positive here (Hee Hee) It helps to have a few familiar faces in the class also. Wilma Demille in our ward is also taking the same course so it will be fun to get to know her better.

4 comments:

laceeJ said...

Yay! Good luck!

Tiffani said...

You will be perfect for the medical field. You just have that perfect caring personality. You have a lot of empathy for people in that those kinds of positions. I would be like "come on, buck up, this isn't so bad!"

fourangels said...

I'm so proud of you for doing something that seems so scary! Going back to school takes a lot of courage! Congrats! You'll do just fine and be the best nurse anyone could ask for.

Lisa said...

I think that is great!! and if it gets to the point that you need me to work something else out with Will, I will. (sob, sob, sob- that is actually hard for me to tell you since I would be incredibly sad to loose you as Will's babysitter but I would undestand. :) Good Luck!