Friday, November 7, 2008

Wendy Fenton's challenge to me

About a month ago Wendy Fenton challenged me to this tag.The rules were to pick your fourth collection of pictures...then choose the fourth picture in that collection and blog about it. So here goes:)



This picture is of the first runner of the 2008 St George marathon at mile marker 13. This year Holli, Lindsay and I helped with the St George marathon.It was such an inspiring experience...One I hope to be able to do again. My CNA teacher asked our class if anyone would be willing to come help her at the mile 13 Nurses station. After everyone turned her down with one excuse or another I started thinking about what a great experience it would be see how the nurses care for people at a marathon. SO I reluctantly agreed to come help. WELL, after Holli and Lindsay heard I was going they wanted to help as well..So after a quick call to my teacher it was a thumbs up.

On the morning of the marathon we drove to St George at 4 am. In order for us to drive to mile marker 13, set up and be ready to go at 6am, we had to get up bright and early. The morning was a little chilly with sprinkles here and there...UNTIL we arrived at our destination. It started pouring rain around 5:30am. We all huddled under a tarp waiting for the first runner to appear. Let me tell ya...You wouldn't think it was that big of a deal to cheer runners on, but this was a definite memory I will keep for a long time...until I get "All timers" hee hee. It was so bloomin' cold that I had Holli and Lindsay sit in the truck so they didn't catch pneumonia. Basically what our nurses station did was assist people with oxygen who were hypothermic, apply bandages for blisters, hand out tongue compressors with Vaseline for the runners to rub on their areas where rash happens. I spent most of my time rubbing runners down with bengay. It was awesome to hear people's stories about why they were running this marathon. One guy said his Father had been training for it for 2 years but tragically died in a car accident the week before...so he was running it for his Dad. Anyhew...all in all it was a very positive experience that moved me to tears more than once. When it was all over we were drenched from head to toe with rain, but my heart was filled with the joy of having helped someone in need. Lots of Fun.I hope we get the chance to help again next year!

1 comment:

fourangels said...

I think that's great you were able to share those moments with your daughters. I hope I can be half the mom you are someday. You always include your girls and I love that about you. Your relationships with them will carry on forever. Hopefully they can continue that with their own families someday. Way to go for facing the weather. I was supposed to do the Mayors Walk with my family and chickened out because of the rain! You are truly awesome!